Formerly Felines for Anarchistic Green Democracies

A Bostonian at the University of Michigan.


There will also be discussion of the New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, and Michigan Wolverines. Probably in that order.

Detroit Tigers content now at Roar of the Tigers!



























 
Archives
April 2002 May 2002 June 2002 July 2002 August 2002 September 2002 October 2002 November 2002 December 2002 January 2003 February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 September 2009













 




Blogging the Detroit Tigers for the Most Valuable Network.












the flickr photostream

Head here to see what I've been shooting lately.


the game sets

Head here to see the shots from a specific baseball or football game (or anything else I've made a set for).



Features


Spelling rant
Yankee Star Wars
A Tigers Comedy of Errors
How bad is Keith Foulke really?
Harry Potter and the Boston Red Sox
Bellhorn vs. Graffanino vs. Lamprey
Critiquing team slogans
Joey Harrington blogs a baseball game
Jason Varitek gets injured
Winter meetings fashion report
Mascot Rant #1
Mascot Rant #2




8 Days of Jewish Baseball
Day 1- Kevin Youkilis
Day 2- Brad Ausmus
Day 3- Al Levine
Day 4- Jason Marquis
Day 5- John Grabow
Day 6- Justin Wayne
Day 7- Shawn Green
Day 8- Gabe Kapler and Theo Epstein

the Story of Chanukah, Red Sox style
Part I: the cruel reign of Steinbrennochus
Part II: rise of the Soxxabees
Part III: the rebellion begins!
Parts IV, V, and VI
Parts VII and VIII


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Fun with Roster Photos
Note: Comments may not exactly correspond to images, as the images will change when the team puts up new photos. Adds a level of surreality, I think.
Detroit Tigers
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Chicago White Sox
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox 2006
Boston Red Sox 2007
New York Yankees 2007


Teams of the Cat

Boston
Red Sox
Patriots

Detroit
Lions
Tigers

Miami
Dolphins

University of Michigan
Wolverines (all sports)

this is all


Sports Reads


12eight
Baseball Desert
Baseball Heavy (PawSox)
Basegirl
Bullshit Memorial Stadium
Cursed to First
Empyreal Environs
Firebrand of the AL
GYS Network
Joy of Sox
Livejournal Home of Red Sox Nation
Misery Loves Company (Sox and Mets)
Over the Monster
Papel-blog
Peter on All
Professional, Idiot, and the Tailback
Red Sox Fan in Pinstripe Territory
Respect the Tek
Sass-a-thon
Singapore Sox Fan
Surviving Grady
Twitch124
Yanks Fan vs. Sox Fan


Detroit Tigers and Lions



Roar of the Tigers

Beyond Boxscores
Bless You Boys
the Cheap Seats
Daily Fungo
Detroit Tiger Weblog
Lions Den
Mack Avenue Tigers
Mickey Tettleton Memorial Overpass
Motown Sports (messageboard)
Motown Sports Revival
Northern Michigan Detroit Sports Blog
Out of Bounds
Sweaty Men Endeavors
Take 75 North
Tiger Tales
TigerBlog
Tigers Central
Where have you gone, Johnny Grubb?


I'm a member of DIBS!



College Sports


MGoBlog (Michigan)

Big Ten Hardball
Blog that Yost Built (Michigan)
Blue-Gray Sky (Notre Dame)
Boi from Troy (USC)
Every Day Should be Saturday (Florida, general college sports)
iBlog for Cookies (Michigan)
ParadigmBlog (Michigan)
Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer (Alabama)
Schembechler Hall (Michigan)
Sunday Morning Quarterback (Southern Miss, mostly general)



2632 (Orioles)
Aaron Gleeman (Twins)
Around the Oval (Ohio State)
Bard's Room (White Sox)
Bat Girl (Twins)
Ben Roethlisberger (personal blog, god help us all)
Bronx Banter (Yankees)
Bronx Block
Buckeye Commentary (Ohio State)
Camden Chat (Orioles)
Enlightened Spartan (Michigan State)
Futility Infielder (Yankees)
Let's Go Tribe (Indians)
NYYFans.com (Yankees forum)
Pinstripe Alley (Yankees)
Replacement Level Yankees
Royals Authority
Royals Review
Tribe Report (Indians)
TwinsGeek



Armchair GM (all)
Athletics Nation
Blog Maverick (Mark Cuban)
Catfish Stew (Athletics)
Deadspin
Ducksnorts (Padres)
Fire Joe Morgan
Gaslamp Ball (Padres)
Goat Riders of the Apocalypse (Cubs)
Idiots Write About Sports (A's, Giants)
Lookout Landing (Mariners)
McCovey Chronicles (Giants)
Metstradamus
Minor League Ball
On the DL (gossip)
Pittsburgh Lumber Co. (Pirates)
Rays Talk
Red Reporter (Reds)
Serious Dismay Sports
Uniwatch (all teams)
USS Mariner (Mariners)



Gilbert Arenas
Curtis Granderson
Tommy Lasorda
Mike Maroth
Pat Neshek
Raymond
Nate Robertson
Curt Schilling
CJ Wilson
Kevin Youkilis



the Brushback
Call of the Green Monster (Red Sox)
Die-hard Cubs Fun
the Dugout, chat room of pro baseball
Korean baseball cartoons (inexplicable)
Soxaholix
Wizznutzz (Wizards..just read it)



Ann Arbor is Overrated
B3ta
Dave Barry
BaseBlogging
'boards
Chromasia
Corey Corcoran
Fried Rice Thoughts
Go Fug Yourself
Goodspeed Update
Grand Mental Station
Quo Vadimus
McSweeney's
pasquinade
PostSecret
Ryan Estrada
Scaryduck
Vitriolica
Whatevs.org
Mike Wieringo


if you are wishing to email the resident feline anarchist, you may do so at
bluecatsredsox@gmail.com


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com































 
Sunday, January 18, 2004  
PATRIOTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!


Ha ha! Super Bowl XXXVIII, here we come! Carolina Panthers, here we come! Oh, t'was a most glorious game to watch. I was quite beside myself for much of the time. Ty Law (who, may I remind you, went to the University of Michigan) had three interceptions. Our defense in general was spectacular, as it generally has been this year. They were intercepting and sacking Peyton Manning all over the extremely messy field. Of course, having Tom Brady throw in his steady, intelligent, level-headed way pretty much all game was a great help as well. That bizarre safety we got when they chucked the ball over the punter's head had me squealing in joy, much to Amanda's amusement (I was watching it in her room, since I no longer have a TV. More on that later in the blog).

That said, I must confess to some worries. Tedy Bruschi came limping off the field at one point, which is most decidedly not a good thing. OK, so we held off the Colts for the rest of the game without him. But let us bear in mind that the Colts were already pretty demoralized at that point, whereas Carolina is going to be riding high. We've got a whole lot of really good players on defense... Law, McGinest, Vrabel, Washington, Hamilton, Phifer, and so on... so it's not as though the entire defense is riding on one player, but Bruschi really is a key point. I don't know, I just hope that he's playing in peak condition by the time the Super Bowl rolls around.

Also, Vinatieri made a lot of field goals (5) in this game. Yes, great, shows that our kicker knows what he's doing, which is a good thing. But the worrying bit is that an awful lot of those field goals came when the Pats had stormed down the field, gotten into goal range, and been unable to turn the drive into a touchdown. We still got points, thanks to Vinatieri, and we beat the Colts anyways. But is that going to fly in the Super Bowl? I am concerned. Most of those drives really, really ought to have ended in touchdowns. I'm not sure why they didn't (sudden spurts of concentration on the part of the Colts defense, complacency on our side of the ball, whatever), but that's definitely something that's going to need to be looked at most carefully before Feb. 1.

I don't particularly like that Brady threw his first interception in 10 home games during this one. OK, so Manning threw a whole heck of a lot more (4). I still don't like it. There were a couple of throws by Brady that probably should have been picked off but weren't. Now, that might have been because of alert Patriots smacking the potential interceptors, and it might have been because of the snow making things slippery, but it is a fact that Brady got really lucky a few times today. I don't like the idea of the Pats relying on luck against the Panthers. Hopefully Brady'll have his wits about him in Houston, and there won't be any issues.

But hey! WE WON! I put a tracing paper Patriots symbol on my window, and a large Go Pats sign on my door. Oh yes, I am excited. Headin' to Houston! Two Super Bowl trips in three years!

A side note, who else noticed the fedoras on Deion and Jim before the game? Deion is always well dressed, so it didn't surprise me to see him wearing the best hat ever created, but I will admit that Jim surprised me. Both looked good in them, thusly adding further proof to my theory that every guy looks hot in a fedora. I spoke with Chris after the game about the fedoras, as he had also noted them with glee.

OK, now, a lot has happened since I last properly blogged, so I am afraid the entry's just going to get longer from here.

Thursday night was the guest artist lecture. This week it wasn't so much a lecture as a performance. The artist is called Dred, and she is a 'gender illusioning woman'. A drag king, to be more precise. Her entire spiel was about assumptions about gender, and things of that nature. I know, it sounds lame, but it was actually really, really good. She was very good at dressing up to look like a man (and she made a very attractive man too, I might add), and she was quite funny. The crowd reacted to her quite well.

After that I had dinner with Heather, Helena, and Yoko (she lives in MoJo). We nearly perished in the extreme cold, but we lived to feed ourselves. We decided to make it a 'thing' and have dinner together every Thursday night. Helena was extremely hyper for some reason, which is saying something, since she's very high-energy even on her most sedate days. I'm certain the singing and shouting coming from our table annoyed everyone else in the place, but such is life. It was highly amusing.

On Friday night I did a whole lot of nothing. I spent most of the night sitting next door in Sara and Elisa's room with them and Kevin. We watched some old movie called Now and Then, for lack of anything better to do. Much chattage was had, and Kevin appropriated my phone for a very long while, causing me to attack him out of fear that he was doing evil things to it. Well, he deserves such suspicion. He got smacked around a little, and I got my phone back with none of the address book altered, so everyone won. Elisa spent the night playing with one of my kneaded erasers. She likened the consistency of it to 'cement poop', which I find confusing, but there you are.

Guess what also happened on Friday night? *insert deliriously happy giggling here*

The roommate moved out!

Yes! It is the sovereign truth! I guess one of her friends in Alice Lloyd (the dorm next door) had a single, and this semester he moved into his frat. So she worked it that she got his room! She moved all of her stuff out on Friday night, with the exception of a bunch of boxes and trash that she kindly left me. Didn't even say goodbye. I was sitting next door with Sara, Elisa, and Kevin the entire time, and by the time I got back to the room, all traces of her were gone (excepting, of course, the garbage). Our rooming history concluded as delightfully as it began.

My joy at her departure knows no bounds. I will be able to sleep on weeknights! I can listen to my music whensoever I please. No more bad rap! No more Britney Spears! Never again shall my rest be disturbed by the TV or the brightness of a computer screen or the strident ringing of a cell phone at odd hours. Never again shall I have to worry about kicking unwelcome visitors out, or about waking up to their odious presence. Never again shall I have to suffer the choking smell of her coming in after a bout of heavy smoking.

I don't know if housing is going to stick me with a new roommate or not. But no one's said anything to me yet, and I'm rather hoping that they don't. Lord knows I deserve a single after the horrors of this semester, and lord knows I could use it, with the batshit insane schedule I've got now. People I've spoken to tend to think that, this late in, it's not real likely someone will move in here, but we'll see. Anyways, I'm going to utilize the room as though it's going to be mine and mine alone for the duration of the year, and we'll just deal with what comes as it does.

The room is now wonderous beyond belief. It seems much larger now, despite the fact that the exact same furniture is present in the exact same locations. As one of my hallmates said, though, it's a wonder that two people ever fit into it. I put some lovely bright blue sheets on her old bed, got a couple of pillows, and brought out my fleecy Swampscott Big Blue blanket. It has now been reclaimed and made into a couch for everyone's seating convenience.

This is why I no longer have a TV, see. I probably will have one by the end of the week, though. Shelby said it was like a horrible marriage that never should have happened and has just now ended in divorce: we were sniping at each other the entire time, we both complained about the other to our respective friends, and when she went she took the TV and left me all her garbage. Ah, the amusement of analogy.

The one problem, other than that of the TV (which will swiftly be fixed), was that the walls around her former living space were now entirely bare, and made the room look depressingly unlived-in. I don't really have any big art I could put up there, and a lot of what I do have is pencil work that wouldn't help matter much. I didn't have any extra posters either. I needed a quick decorating fix. What to do?

On Saturday night me, Shelby, Pam, and Sara went to the Auto Show in Detroit. It was absolutely insane. The place was huge and was packed with people (and, unnervingly, cops). We stayed for several hours, and there's no way we saw everything. There were a lot of concept cars that had me going bug-eyed at the skillful industrial design that went into them. There were a lot of cars in general, actually. Everyone you could think of was there... Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Ferrari, Nissan, Lincoln, BMW, Honda, Chevrolet, GM, Dodge, Jeep, Jaguar, Volkswagen, Volvo, Lexus, Aston Martin, Hyundai, Maserati, Chrysler, Porsche, Cadillac, and countless others. There were some there I had never even heard of, like Scion, or Saleen.

We went around and gawked at the nice cars, and sat in some of them. We saw a group of people sitting in one of the big SUVs. They had turned the radio on and tuned it to a rap station, and were enjoying themselves by rocking out in the middle of the auto show. We had a laugh at that.

The Jeep area was very atmospheric. They had fake lampposts and cliffs and under foot they had green carpet meant to be fake grass. We were highly amused by this. They also had a waterfall set up that spelled out JEEP in the water. Quite impressive, in a cheesy kind of way.

I probably can't convey the atmosphere of the place accurately unless you were there. It was enormous, and packed, and there were shiny cars everywhere, and it frelling rocked. I, of course, took pictures, which you may peruse here. If you already saw them (I had them up last night), you may want to look again. See, I asked Dave to look through them and ID them all for me, which he very kindly did, including intelligent and insightful comments on each. So, armed with this wealth of information, I've updated all the captions. Well worth viewing again, I should think, now that all is filled with car information and incomparable Dave wisdom.

Anyways, after the Auto Show we went to Meijer, because that's we do here in Michigan. That's when I got the pillows for my new seating area, and I got some more yogurt and popsicles (which, despite the obscenely biting cold, everyone eats as often as possible). But I forgot to get more string cheese, alas.

Back to the problem with the room. What's to be done about these depressing, bare walls? Well, I had just got back from the Auto Show, armed with a bagful of car pamphlets. What the heck else was I going to do?

there was a picture of my room here, but villagephotos decided to suck, so now it is no more


It's still not done, since I still have tons of pamphlets left to work with, and I think I'm going to try to incorporate some of the pictures I took into it. But it looks loads better now than it did before. I really like the (unintentional) way that the blue of the Chevy poster and in a couple of the other cars pictures picks up the blue of the sheets. So now it looks like I'm entirely car-obsessed, despite the fact that I'm not. I mean, I enjoy cars, and I like knowing about the new designs and ideas and all, but I'm not as obsessed with them as I am with, say, cats, or football.

But the moral of the story is that Auto Show pamphlets = quick, creative, attractive decorating fix for your dormroom or similar habitation.

OK, I probably should get to bed now, as I've tons of homework eyeing me hungrily for tomorrow. Check out those Auto Show photos, celebrate the Patriots victory, and do whatever else seems good to you.

10:19 PM

 
This page is powered by Blogger.